FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCreaking Bathtub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Got2Know View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creaking Bathtub
    Posted: 23-Nov-2006 at 3:26pm
I live in a 2nd floor condo, and my bathtub has recently started to creak when I step in it. I've been here 10 years, and the tub was not new when I moved in. I believe it is iron, and the floor underneath should be poured concrete like the rest of the floors. So what could be causing it to creak? What do I need to do about this?
Retired plbg View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2006 at 12:39am
Sounds like the support has come loose, if it was installed right you should have a support on the stud wall to hold up tub, some guys just weg a 2x4 on the side. You have to cut wall about 4" above tub and see if the 2by is nailed on studs.

------------------
Art retired plbg

nicktheplumber View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 12:13pm

In reply to message posted by Got2Know:
I live in a 2nd floor condo, and my bathtub has recently started to creak when I step in it. I've been here 10 years, and the tub was not new when I moved in. I believe it is iron, and the floor underneath should be poured concrete like the rest of the floors. So what could be causing it to creak? What do I need to do about this?

Poured concrete on the second floor? I doubt it, unless you live in an "industrial" type building. In any case, the problem is due to settling of the floor and the only way to fix it is to insert shims under the tub. Main problem will be to get access under the tub.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic